For me, local slow travel is one of the great things I do. Here’s some of the reasons why I think it’s the best way to travel (in no particular order):
- Walking, cycling and paddling allows me to travel IN a landscape, not THROUGH one.
- I get to meet people.
- I get to learn about their landscapes.
- I can contribute economically, socially and sometimes even politically at the local level.
- Knowing more about the ways people live in their landscapes, their aspirations and their concerns means I know more about myself as well.
- It’s sustainable travel – for example, low emissions, contributing to local sustainability through what I contribute to local communities.
- The pace is slow – things unfold rather than get ticked off lists.
- It’s a good way to reflect on my own ideas, approaches to travel, actions and engagements.